Wednesday, August 28, 2013

Discovering North Quabbin and Hail in August

Recently I have been doing a lot of exploring in the Orange/Athol area at the northern end of Quabbin Reservoir and have discovered a lot of fun things to do up there. It is close to 50 miles one-way but the drives have been worth it---in fact travelling scenic Route 202 is part of the enjoyment, especially on the scooter.

I initially went up about two weeks ago to find Tully Lake which I had heard about from a friend who goes there to play frisby golf.  I decided to ride the scooter up one Sunday afternoon and although I got a late start and it was pretty cloudy, I convinced myself that the skies looked clearer in the direction I was going so it would be fine.  It started raining just about 5 miles past Belchertown so I went back to Dunkin Donuts to wait it out.  It didn't rain too long and after waiting for the group of about 30 Harley riders who arrived at Dunkin shortly after I did, to leave, I resumed my ride. (They probably would not have made any snide comments about my scooter but I waited for them to leave anyway.)

After riding a short distance, a quick time check revealed that I had endured too many delays and that it was too late in the day to continue my trip, so I detoured through Pelham and worked my way around to Atkins Farm in Amherst.  Enjoying the great views of the Notch while having an ice cream cone and reading awhile would have to be my substitute adventure for the day.  At one point  looking up from my reading I discovered some very dark clouds had crept in so I immediately headed for home.  I don't mind riding in a gentle rain but I don't like getting soaked.

I made it make to the general area of the second rotary on Memorial Drive when the rain started, gentle at first, then heavy.  If I had chosen the underpass near Al's Diner, I would have been very protected but I chose the back of the service station by Al's, hoping the wall would protect me from blowing rain.  It didn't, so I soon gave up any hope of not getting soaked and headed home in the pouring rain.

Guess who was sitting at a looong red light facing the Munich Haus in Chicopee center, soaking wet, when he started getting pelted by hail.  The whole situation was so ridiculous that I just burst out laughing---soaking wet, getting wetter by the minute waiting for a long red light which was controlling no other traffic but me, and getting hailed on in August!

This was certainly not the adventure I had planned but it is how I got started  exploring the Northern Quabbin area.  I have since been back about 5 times (on dry days) and have several discoveries to share:  Johnson's Farm Restaurant, Tully Lake, and the Community Boat House in Orange where you can rent canoes, kayaks, and stand up paddle boards for $8 per hour!

 I highly recommend you check out these places out for yourself----and don't forget Annie's Ice cream.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Would love to get your feedback.